Life of Jacob - Gen 29
1. WILLING TO BE REAL AND SHOW EMOTION – We are creating men today who hide behind a
façade. A façade that portrays that they are distant from emotion. They are not real, they are
calculating. They want you to believe that they have it all together. I love verse 11, "And Jacob
kissed Rachel, and lifted up his voice, and wept."
2. WILLING TO HELP OTHERS – In the initial meeting between Jacob and Rachel there is a problem
with a stone covering a well. Jacob was willing to help by rolling the stone away. The will to
help others is not something that is learned naturally. People have to be taught in many cases
to think of someone other than themselves. Watch to see if the person you are interested in
has a willingness to help others and not just his self.
3. WILLING TO HAVE A DISCUSSION WITH HIS FUTURE FATHER-IN-LAW – A lot of the relationships I
see today start behind the backs of the parents. It is already in our conversation with our kids
that before you date someone both parents have to be in agreement or in the loop. Find a man
that is willing to look your dad in the face and discuss his future plans for you.
4. WILLING TO WAIT (FOR SEVEN YEARS) – Women I work with men every day in the public arena.
Their discussions can be like such, “Look at the picture of this girl that I tagged last night.” (So far
because of the way I live they have never showed me the pictures – thank God.) A man that is
pushy sexually is only looking out for himself. Find a man that is willing to wait for everyone to
be on board. Do not buy into the elope mentality – wait till parents and family members are in
5. WILLING TO WORK (FOR SEVEN YEARS) – Every employer that I talk to has been complaining
more and more about the worker mentality. Look for a man that is willing to work. Work is a
mental and physical development. Physically people start work every day that are stronger than
me but mentally they have never learned the monotonous grind of work.
It would not be a bad idea for the father to say to the son. When you have $5,000 saved then
you may marry my daughter. People walk into relationships every day that have not put any
effort into future planning. If you have to have background checks and credit checks to buy a
house and car then why not a future son-in-law. People put more work into screening renters
that we put into future spouses.
6. WILLING TO FACE SET BACKS – Laban tricked Jacob by giving him Leah rather than Rachel. Most
people I know would have walked out the door at that moment. Yet, Jacob continued to pursue
and he put in an impressive seven more years.