1. ATTITUDE/DISRESPECT/OBEDIENCE- I have been a middle/high school teacher for 13 years and parents tell me how their child’s attitude changes. The disrespect level goes up and obedience and listening goes down when a child is allowed unlimited access.
2. DEPRESSION – It is my belief that kids are more likely to become depressed for the following reasons.
a. They are not working with their hands. They see cool things via media but they are not told how to do it.
b. They are comparing their lives with others.
d. Not able to really connect with people. We are connected through disconnected means.
3. ONLINE BULLYING – It is my wife and I’s deepest concern that we protect our children socially, emotionally, spiritually and physically. One person’s carelessness online could damage my child’s perception of them self for life.
4. COMMUNICATION – Psychologist say that the role of male and females are switching. Females are now chasing males because they are so involved with gaming that they do not know how to communicate with girls and they have a huge fear of rejection.
5. ESCAPE MENTALITY – When I allow my kids to be on their phones or unlimited video, I am teaching them to escape rather than engage.
6. PORNOGRAPHY- I have been a youth camp president for fifteen years and every year I talk to a kid who struggles with pornography. It is normally from a phone that has been given to them by their parents or a computer in their own home.
7. SEXTING – You have no control over your child’s impulses. You have no clue what your child is feeling and when they are feeling it. A close friend connection can quickly escalate. From a teacher stand point Title 9 situations in middle school are not fun to deal with.
8. FOLLOW THE CROWD – We do not cultivate a follow the crowd mentality in our home. We cultivate a “Follow Jesus” mentality. I do not do things because other parents are doing them. In eternity I am not going to answer to other parents for my actions. I have to answer to Christ. Gods economy and man’s economy is very, very different.
9. PROLONGING ADOLESCENCE – When a child is continually escaping they are not learning how to be a good adult. They are not learning a skill or trade.
10. TIME MANAGEMENT – Hmmm- do I need to even explain? Slothfulness is killing us. Our kids will one day look back and say I could have been a better adult but I wasted so much time. Everything in our life is limited – electricity, food, money – so why should children have unlimited times?
Written By: Scott Blackmon